Monday, March 27, 2017

Princess and the Pea

This week we looked at different version of The Princess and the Pea. 

Outline:

Opening Song: Put Your Hands Up High

Opening Rhyme

Story: The Princess and the Pea by Rachel Isadora




Song: Princess and the Pea
Tune: Mary Had a Little Lamb

1. The prince needed to wed a princess
Wed a princess, wed a princess
The prince needed to wed a princess
A real and true princess

2. But how could he find his princess
Find his princess, find his princess
How could he find his princess
A princess real and true?

3. One day a princess got lost in a storm
Lost in a storm, lost in a storm
One day a princess got lost in a storm
And asked for a place to sleep

4. The Queen tested her with a pea
With a pea, with a pea
The Queen tested her with a pea
Under 20 mattresses

5. The princess could not sleep a wink
Sleep a wink, sleep a wink
The princess could not sleep a wink
Because of that hard pea

Source: Me

Flannel Board: Five Comfy Mattresses

Five comfy mattresses under a sleeping princess
But the top one was too knobby, she found a tree
Four comfy mattresses under a sleeping princess
But the top one was too bumpy, she found a key
Three comfy mattresses under a sleeping princess
But the top one was too scratchy, she found a flea
Two comfy mattresses under a sleeping princess
But the top one was too buzzy, she found a bee
One comfy mattress under a sleeping princess
But it was too lumpy, she found a pea
So she ate the pea and fell asleep

Source: The Voices Inside My Headphones

Story: The Real Princess: A Mathemagical Tale by Brenda Williams




Activity: Find the pea under the pillow

Craft: Princess and the pea art project

Story: Princess Pigtoria and the Pea by Pamela Duncan Edwards




Goodbye Song

How it actually went: 

I love the illustrations in Rachel Isadora's version of The Princess and the Pea. Since the text remains true to the traditional tale, I chose this one for my first story of the night. 

The week before, the children were quite vocal in their objection to singing "The Fairy Tale Song" AGAIN, so I promised them that I would find something different next week. Well, I couldn't find anything that I liked for the Princess and the Pea, so I wrote my own. Feel free to use it if you like it. 

I found the flannel board at the link above. You may notice that I altered mine a bit. I wanted mine to rhyme better than the original text that I found. 

For the most part, the kids seemed to enjoy The Real Princess. They counted along some of the time. One of my girls had an interesting objection. She did not like that the princes in the story were depicted with eyelashes. LOL I invited her to look at the boys in the room and notice that they do, in fact, have eyelashes. 

For the "pea under the pillow" activity I placed several pillows and blankets ("mattresses") on the ground and placed a marble "pea" under a few of them. Then I gave the kids a sheet labeled with mattresses 1-6 and asked them to check yes or no depending on if they thought there was a pea underneath or not. 


The worksheet I created so the kids could record their answers. 


They did fairly well with their guesses, but there were some where they just could not tell. Another problem that I had was that I had 6 kids and 6 mattresses. Well, rather than have them stand in line and have several waiting as the kids made their way down in order, I had them all sit at the same time and rotate. So some of the children were confused about which mattress they were actually sitting on (and yes, they were labeled). 

For our craft project I was inspired by pictures from Pinterest. I gave the kids paper in all different colors and patterns and invited them to paper-collage a bed piled high with mattresses. I also provided a label for each of the kids that read "_____ put ___ mattresses on the bed, but the princess could still feel the pea." This provided a little bit of math, and was also inspired by pictures on Pinterest. 

The children had so much fun with their art projects that we didn't have time for our final story. 

I'm sorry I don't have more pictures this week. I forgot my phone at home that day. 

So what are your thoughts? Comments? Questions?

*Disclaimer* I post links to Amazon, but am not an affiliate. I do not receive any compensation for any sales which may result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment