Monday, December 12, 2016

Chicken Little

After searching on Pinterest and other librarian blogs, I decided that for my science week, I would use the story of Chicken Little (or Henny Penny) to discuss gravity.

Outline: 

Opening Song: Put Your Hands up High

Opening Rhyme: Hands go up

Story: Chicken Little by M.J. York

Song: Cluck, Cluck Red Hen 
Tune: Baa-Baa Black Sheep


Cluck, cluck red hen 
Have you any eggs? 
Yes sir! Yes sir! As many as your legs!
One for your breakfast 
And one for your lunch! 
Come back tomorrow, I'll have another bunch!
Cluck, cluck red hen, 
Have you any eggs? 
Yes sir! Yes sir! As many as your legs!

Source: KidsSoup

Rhyme: This Little Chick


This little chick ate corn today. (Hold up thumb.) 
This little chick ate worms, they say. (Hold up first finger.) This little chick ate yellow meal. (Hold up second finger.) This little chick ate a potato peel. (Hold up third finger.) 
And this little chick like a fluffy ball, (Hold up fourth finger.) Ate a teeny, tiny, bit of all! Corn today! Worms they say! Yellow meal! Potato peel!

Source: Same as above

Story: Brave Chicken Little by Robert Byrd




Activity: Dropping objects to see how things fall

Craft/Activity: Parachutes

Final Story: Chicken Little by Rebecca and Ed Emberley



Goodbye Song

How it actually went:

In a big change from the previous week, where I had only one child, this storytime had eight! I know that in some libraries, that's nothing, but I was excited to have so many kids in what is typically a low-volume storytime. 

For our "drop things and see how they fall" activity, I put together what I called, experiment bags. They were paper bags that contained an assortment of items that I found in our storage room. Each bag had: a feather, a pom pom/cotton ball, a checker piece, and two marbles. I set up four cardboard boxes around the room so that as the children dropped their objects, they wouldn't scatter all over. As the kids dropped stuff into the boxes, I asked them to think about why some things might drop faster than others. I also pointed out that their bags had two marbles so they could test objects of the same size. I think they had fun dropping stuff, but they also tired of it pretty quickly and were ready to move on to the next task. 

For our take home craft we made parachutes. I adapted it from the parachute activity in Explore! Forces and Motion.



*Side note* I absolutely LOVE this series for STEAM projects. They are technically aimed for children 7-10 years old, but I can usually find a way to adapt them for 5-7 year olds. 

For this activity, I put together little parachute kits for each kid. I pre-cut the plastic grocery bags into octagons, and put all of the holes in for the yarn. I pre-cut nine equal strands of yarn, and I gave each child a small rubber ducky to attach their parachute to (we have a ton left over from Summer Reading Club). 

I don't usually like to do too much prep work, but this was the night before Thanksgiving, and we were closing early so I couldn't afford to have the kids go over our allotted time. I was also more concerned with having the kids experiment with gravity and air resistance than about being creative with this particular activity. 

For the most part the parachutes worked well, and there was only one almost meltdown when someone's yarn got tangled.

This week there was time to finish up with our final story before singing goodbye. 

Overall, I think things went alright. Each week is as much an experiment for me as it is for the kids. What are your thoughts? Have you tried making parachutes with your kids? Let me know how things worked out in the comments. 

*Disclaimer* While this post contains links to Amazon, I am not currently set up as an affiliate, so I will not receive any compensation for any sales which may result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment